Saturday 9 July 2011

Boys Toys




What is it about bridges? I suppose that on any given road, a bridge is a place as opposed to just another anonymous portion of distance. How often we stop on bridges to take in the view or to watch a river flowing underneath. I'm sure you will all have seen spectators on bridges over the autoroute. I must confess I have done this myself - watching all those unknowns pursuing their private destinies. You may wonder what got me onto this. Well, in St Savinien we have two bridges - one that is on the road in and out of town and the other which is a pontoon bridge connecting us to La Grenouillette - which is a park with a boating lake with a circuit of canals. The boats are fantastic and are scale models of real vessels such as tugs, cross channel ferries and Mississippi steamers. These are real boys toys! Kids need adults to accompany them and Adults need kids so Gilles has to wait for some grandchildren to turn up so that he can play on the boats. Won't be long and he's getting excited. At least it takes his mind off the cycling. Every year the French scan the horizon for a home-grown winner. Oh dear, a Brit won again yesterday. Best not mention it.



How do you feel about wasps? I mean, would you go out looking for them? In France we have a species called les frelons asiatiques which Anglos would call hornets. They are huge and kill lovely little pollinating bees. Citizens are asked to trap them using a bottle containing beer and grenadine. I've always found that beer attracts most Northern European males and the grenadine certainly attracts me in a suitable cocktail with lemonade, vodka and ice. I've got to be a good citizen so I'm giving it a go. There might be a bit left for the hornets. Santé!



Emma thinx: Build a bridge. Kiss someone you love.




RWPC8WZSWANW
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x