Monday 18 July 2011

When the Saint Saviniens go Marching In



So, it's Sunday night and the town of Saint Savinien is holding a musical soirée in the church. A gospel group led by Jo Ann Pickens came to sing. Now, I wondered about this. How would this go down in rural France with an ageing population of Catholics. Well, I need not have worried. At least twice the expected number of folks turned up and they rocked - Oh Lordy - even for a Buddhist Trotskyite - they rocked. I hope you have checked out the video clip. The quality isn't that good but just feel the depth of real soul pleasure that's going on. So, folks - we have solved war and strife. Just let people see and enjoy each other. How it is that rural France embraces Southern American gospel beats me. They sure don't have it on the radio. Incidentally may I say what stars all the performers were. The three girls that opened the show were fantastic and the keyboard guy was spot on. Jo Ann Pickens spoke in immaculate French and she just filled the place up with her talent. It was simply a wonderful event.


All of the above leads me to consider three individuals -  John Mayer, Cliff Richard and Johnny Hallyday. Now, I suspect that readers - depending where they are - will be asking Who?  All of these guys  have huge fan bases in their own countries but have never been heard of anywhere else. Now why is this? Clearly some music travels better than others. Johnny Hallyday is hard to describe. He is more French than garlic snails and more rocker than Meatloaf. Perhaps that is a recipe I should try. I think that the virtual generation of lost "book my face" souls won't appreciate him but he still has a loyal following. If you understand Johnny Hallyday you understand something profound of France. Not even the French know what that something is. But it is profound. It is something of passion, excess, revolution and the soil. Check him out here.

I read the news today - Oh boy! Big trouble at St Rupert's. The London Police Force has resigned and the Head Boy has recalled all the prefects from their jolly hols for a special meeting. Now, if you wanna know the real inside on the Met Police check out my Romance "Knockout." I researched this book in bed with a true hot top Interpol cop. Now - how's that for artistic sacrifice. 

Gilles and I have been gardening. He is on a mission- hence my daily thinx.

Emma thinx: Trouble not. Nature will win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by. Always so happy to get your feedback. Emma x